North Haven All-on-4 Dental Implants | Also in Cromwell and Wallingford
If you’re missing all your teeth, there are several ways to restore them with implants. One option is using multiple implants to hold a full arch of teeth or a series of bridges. Unfortunately, patients who have insufficient jawbone often need bone grafts before they’re ready for implants.
We can also restore a full dental arch using only four implants, even if you have a diminished jawbone. This technique, the All-on-4 implant denture, was developed by Dr. Palo Malo and trademarked by Nobel Biocare.
Typically, implants are inserted into the jaw at a 90° angle. With the All-on-4 technique, two of the four implants are inserted at a 45° angle for additional stability. That is the secret to placing a full arch of teeth on only four implants.
All-on-4 dentures are fixed, which means only a dentist can remove them. An advantage of All-on-4 dentures is they rarely require bone grafts. Skipping this step saves time and money.
Preserving Your Jaw with Implants
When you lose teeth, it triggers a process in your body called bone resorption. Your body is very efficient, and it doesn’t like to waste. If jawbone is no longer needed to hold a tooth, your body will reuse its minerals. Unfortunately, this natural process has some very undesirable consequences. For example, as you lose jawbone, the shape of your face will change. It will begin to look scrunched up or collapsed.
The longer you’ve been without teeth, the more jawbone your body will resorb. Resorption is accelerated if you’re wearing removable dentures that put pressure on your jaw. Lifelong removable denture wearers can eventually find themselves dental cripples, with too little jawbone to tolerate a denture.
Implants stop the resorption process by telling your body the jawbone is still needed. That’s how All-on-4 implant dentures preserve your remaining jawbone.
Getting All-on-4 Dental Implants
What can you expect when getting All-on-4 implants? It’s a multi-step process that includes:
- Consultation. You will meet with our prosthodontist, Dr. Dengelegi, and discuss your treatment.
- Imaging. We will take x-rays and detailed 3-D digital images and use them to design your new smile.
- Implant surgery. Our oral surgeon, Dr. Abunasra, will place four implants for each arch of teeth. Sedation is available, so you won’t remember the procedure. You’ll leave our office with temporary dentures, ready to smile right away.
- Healing. It can take 3 to 6 months for the implants to fuse to your jaw, forming a secure bond. During this time, you’ll need to avoid hard or chewy foods.
- Your new smile. At this appointment, we’ll attach your new permanent denture to the implant roots. You’ll never worry about loose or sliding dentures again.
If you wear removable dentures and want to find out if All-on-4 dental implants will work for you, please call us at 203-234-3900 to make an appointment with Dr. Dengelegi. You’re also welcome to fill out our scheduling form here, and we will call you back.